The UIC Police Department is continuously seeking highly skilled and qualified Security Guards to protect and serve the UIC Campus and University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System.
Security Guards are assigned to protect property from theft and damage and persons
from hazards and interference by ensuring that potential and emergent safety and
security violations are readily discovered, controlled and/or reported to the proper
The UIC Police Department is a 24x7x365 operation.
All Security Guard positions are full-time 40 hours per week, with a starting hourly rate of $13.06 per hour.
Interviews for this position will be conducted in two rounds which include round 1 In-person interview and round 2 Agility Testing. Applicants must first pass round 1 to be eligible for round 2. As part of the round 1 interview you must successfully pass a background check to move forward.
Key Responsibilities / Duties:
* Monitor activity at a static post assignment including any T.V. monitor stations or pass desk.
* Check incoming and outgoing people for proper identification/authorization.
* Lock/unlock doors, turn lights on/off as scheduled; check doors and lights for status at prescribed times.
* Provide information/assistance to staff, faculty, visitors and students.
* Activate/deactivate and/or respond to door alarms.
* Prepare reports of activity including the Officer's Log of Activity and miscellaneous incidents.
* Be prepared to follow emergency procedures relating to fire alarms/drills, utility/equipment failures, disaster calls or drills, securing medical assistance and using the paging system.
* Use judgement in deciding to independently handle potential security or emergency situations or to contact University Police.
* Provide safety escorts and assist Police Officers with activity where practicable.
* Monitor activity within assigned area to ensure safety of people and property.
* Check and note the status of out of place equipment, property and supplies.
* Check persons working to ensure they are not in need of help, i.e., sick, injured or victims of crime.
* Warn violators of and enforce University rules and regulations.
* Tour buildings and grounds to ensure safety and security, while reporting to proper authorities any emergent concerns/matters.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualificaitons Required:
1 .High school graduation or equivalent
2. Valid Illinois driver license if essential to the position
3. No record of conviction of a felony, or of a crime involving moral turpitude.
UPLOADED DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO QUALIFY TO TEST:
To be considered for this position, applicants must upload the following required documents within the document section of the online application:
* High School diploma/transcripts or equivalent must be uploaded
* Valid State of Illinois Driver's License (The driver's license information MUST be entered including the expiration date on page 2 of the CS Application Step 1. A copy of both sides of the driver's license must be uploaded).
If all sections of the online application are not completed which includes adding your full work history, education, certifications, and drivers liscence sections. If the documents listed above are not uploaded within the Documents section of the online application at time of application submission the candidate will be disqualified from consideration.
* Good health and physical condition as required by the position with the abilty to pass an Agility test.
* Ability to follow written and oral instructions
* Ability to prepare clear and factual written reports
* Excellent verbal skills
* Skill in thinking clearly, reacting appropriately, and exercising initiative quickly in potential or emergent security and safety situations
* Skilled in human relations, problem solving, public relations and courtesy
To Apply: For fullest consideration, please complete an online application by clicking the Apply to Position button below.
All sections of the online application must be fully completed including adding your full work history, education, and driver's licence sections.
If a degree or college coursework is required you must provide official transcripts.
Transcripts/Licenses/Certifications MUST be uploaded electronically to your online application through the Documents page on the Civil Service Employment Application (page 4). Be sure to select the appropriate document type before uploading the document.
Documentation of high school completion (official transcripts, copy of diploma or GED certificate) is required in order to be eligible for this position within the University of Illinois Hospital and Health Sciences System.
If your educational institution doesn't provide electronic transcripts they must mail the transcripts to:
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.
Recruitment and Staffing
Human Resources Building Room 109
715 S. Wood Street M/C 862
Chicago IL 60612
Attn: Security Guard
When completing your online application, please be sure to provide detailed information about your job knowledge and specific duties and responsibilities, as your qualifications for any Civil Service position will be primarily determined based on what is contained in the application. Dates of employment and if employed on a full or part time basis (including number of hours per week) must be indicated for each position held. Additional consideration will be given to supporting documentation i.e. resume, transcripts, licenses, and certifications so please be sure to attach all applicable documents.
If an application and required documents are not submitted at the time the application is submitted the applicant/employee will not be considered.
We appreciate your interest in employment at the **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***..
The University of Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.