Dallas Area Rapid Transit Police Department
ESSENTIAL SKILLS NEEDED
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- Ethical decision making skills
- Integrity and excellent judgment
- Easily adaptable/flexible
- Ability to work well with others
Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) is the mass transit agency for the Dallas metropolitan area, servicing 13 cities in 6 counties, covering over 700 square miles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Inspects and enforces customer fares on DART's transportation rail system for validity, proper time and date, month, year and authenticity. Ensures a DART photo ID accompanies reduced fares for seniors, high school students, disabled, or Medicare cardholders. Inspects reduced monthly passes to ensure that the holder has signed it.
2. Issues citations or warnings to customers on board without proper fare or photo ID. Completes forms on citation or warning from information provided by customer. Provides appropriate copies of citation or warning to customer. Maintains and submits records and reports of activity.
3. Assists customers with purchasing tickets from Ticket Vending Machines (TVM). Uses TVM training to assist and educate customers on proper use of TVM. Reports TVM problems to DART Police Dispatch center.
4. Reports disruptive behavior on the system or DART property to DART Police.
5. Testifies in court regarding issued citations.
6. Wears DART uniform during working hours.
7. Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. High school diploma or G.E.D.
2. Two (2) years heavy customer service experience (in criminal justice or related field preferred) in dealing with customers that may potentially become rude, uncooperative or defensive.
3. Valid Texas Drivers License or possess a comparable drivers license from another state of the United States. No more than one (1) Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) conviction on driving record. No more than three (3) moving violation convictions within last 36 months.
4. Successful completion of selection process including polygraph exam, psychological evaluation, and background investigation.
5. Proficient using PC and various software applications.
6. Pass physical (medical) examination which includes a drug screen.
7. Written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate with all levels, both inside and outside of DART.
8. Must be able to: be physically active for prolonged periods of time; stand and walk on all types of surfaces, including uneven surfaces; climb up and down stairs; effectively utilize and lift issued equipment such as, but not limited to, two-way radio, keys, ticket-writing machine and printer, and self-contained breathing apparatus; expose hands to vibration; and continuously carry/wear issued equipment.
9. Must be able to work variable shifts, including weekends and holidays. May be required to work mandatory overtime with short notice.
10. Must be able to: continuously work outdoors in all kinds of weather; ride on a train for prolonged periods of time while remaining alert; and understand verbal communication over the two-way radio with background noise.
11. May be required to work mandatory overtime with short notice.
12. Ability to comprehend DART's fare policy, fare media and the Ft. Worth T fare media.
13. Ability to deal diplomatically with the public and to exercise good judgment in emergencies and confrontational situations.
14. Analytical skills to find solutions to problems of limited complexity.
15. Ability to demonstrate a fiduciary obligation to section, division, department, and DART in handling materials and information of a confidential nature.
16. Ability to be dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Receives first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services.
During the screening process a criminal history, and driver’s license check will be conducted. Disqualifiers include but are not limited to the following:
1. No Felony convictions, no Class A Misdemeanor convictions, and no Class B Misdemeanor convictions in the last ten years.
2. No pending criminal investigations or actions (civilian or military) and/or be under indictment for any criminal offense at the time of application.
3. Not more than one (1) DWI conviction on your driving record.
4. No dishonorable or less than honorable military discharges.
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- Pension Plan (fully funded by employer at 7.7% of salary)
- 401K Retirement Plan (employer matches ½ of employee contribution)
- Full uniform provided
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid time off that increases with seniority
An online application must be submitted to be considered for employment; a resume alone will not be considered. You may apply online at
STEPS IN THE HIRING PROCESS
- Online application
- Interview Board
- Polygraph Exam
- Background Investigation
- Interview with Chief of Police
- Medical exam & drug test
- Psychological evaluation
For additional information about our minimum qualifications or hiring process, please visit our website at
and go to the Employment Opportunities page.
Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) is the mass transit agency for the Dallas metropolitan area. The DART Police Department provides police services for the transportation system throughout 13 cities in 6 counties, covering over 700 square miles. The department has over 400 positions and DART Police officers are vested with all the rights, privileges, obligations, and duties of peace officers in the state of Texas.
Location/Region: Dallas, TX (US)
Dallas Area Rapid Transit Police Department