Organization:Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas
Internship:Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps JD Law Student Internship
Location:Fort Worth, Texas
LegalAid of NorthWest Texas – LANWT is seeking Equal Justice Works/AmeriCorps JDInterns to focus on providing legal service to older adults who have beenvictims of elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation. Two JD law students will be selected for the Internship. Interns will office at LANWT's Fort Worthbranch, and will work alongside LANWT's Elder Justice Legal Fellow to providecivil legal assistance to elder abuse victims in the Dallas/Fort-WorthMetroplex and the surrounding counties. Theproject will involve travel to LANWT's other offices in an effort to reach seniorcenters, nursing homes, assisted living communities, and other community-basedsettings in rural offices served by LANWT. The combined efforts will assist elder abuse victims to stabilize,recover, and rebuild their lives.
InternshipDescription: The EqualJustice Works AmeriCorps Elder Legal Intern will:
* Assist with Elder Law cases;
* Compose correspondence, pleadings and other documents;
* Connect clients and the client community with organizations serving the elder population;
* Research the law and prepare memoranda;
* Assist Elder Justice Fellow with Know Your Rights sessions at senior centers, nursing homes, and assisted living communities and create educational materials to be shared with LANWT staff throughout LANWT's 114 county service area;
* Develop materials directed to the client community or agencies regarding elder abuse issues, resources and legal remedies and conduct outreach; and
* Complete 300 hours of service by September 30, 2018. The internships can be served during the school year 2017-2018 or summer 2018.
To be Eligible for the Internship, an applicantmust:
* Bea U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident of the UnitedStates;
* (Mandatory) The ability to undergo and pass AmeriCorps-mandated criminal background checks (only conviction for murder and/or presence on sex offender registry are automatic bars to service; other criminal convictions are allowable at LANWT's discretion);
* Be a current student at an Equal Justice Works member school;
* Complete the application in the Equal Justice Works Student Application Manager System;
* Be in compliance with all CNCS Federal Regulations, Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps grant requirements and Legal Services Corporation regulations.
The ideal candidate will possess:
* A demonstrated commitment to public interest work and strong desire to assist elder indigent clients;
* Strong writing, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills;
* The ability to work collaboratively in a variety of contexts;
* Experience in managing independent projects or assignments;
* Experience with using technology including document assembly, websites and video conferencing, preferred;
* Law school clinic, externship, summer or other relevant practice experience;
* A valid driver's license;
* Ability to travel within the LANWT service area.
Salary and Benefits:
Benefitsand Professional Opportunities offered by AmeriCorps:
* $1,230.69 AmeriCorps Legal Education Award upon successful completion of 300 hours of AmeriCorps service within the school year or summer law internship.
* Opportunity to attend national trainings focused on leadership, networking, and project development sponsored by Equal Justice Works.
Legal Aid of NorthWestTexas:
LANWTis a non-profit public interest law firm that provides high-quality free civillegal services to low-income persons in North and West Texas. LANWT has served this client community since1951 and covers 114 counties. LANWTprovides a wide variety of civil legal services including cases involving family/domesticviolence, housing (eviction, vouchers, foreclosure), benefits, consumer issues,education, removal of barriers for employment (expunction, non-disclosure,occupational licenses), and disability rights. LANWT has 10 designated practice teams includinga Probate & Elder Law Team, Bankruptcy Team, Immigration Team (U-VISA andVAWA Petitions) and a Public Benefits Team.
TheInternship will be based in Fort Worth, Texas. The Fort Worth office delivers civil legalservices to the poor in a diverse, dynamic, and challenging city and in severalneighboring rural counties. Althoughbased in Fort Worth, Interns will have the opportunity to serve the targeted Elderclient community in the Metroplex offices (Dallas, Denton, McKinney and Waxahachie)which serve urban, suburban and rural counties. It is anticipated that the Fellow will alsohave the opportunity to provide education and outreach to rural West Texas officesand the counties served by those LANWT offices.
Please submit a cover letter expressing interest, a resume, legalwriting sample and three professional references during the applicationprocess.
The positions will remain open until filled.
LEGAL AID OF NORTHWEST TEXAS IS AN EQUALOPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER