Police Dispatcher I (3 positions)
Police Dispatcher I
The Police Dispatcher provides essential dispatch communications and records maintenance within the University Police Department. Incumbent is responsible for maintaining effective and efficient communications between Public Safety, campus police officers in the field, outside emergency and law enforcement agencies, and the public.
Incumbent is responsible for receiving, recording and dispatching general and emergency information quickly, clearly and accurately.
Non-Exempt - This position is covered by health benefits, and is non-exempt, (eligible for overtime compensation) according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Classification Salary Range
$3,096- $5,281 Monthly
$3,096 - $3,897 Monthly
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent?
Regular or Temporary
Full Time or Part Time
Varies; irregular shifts, to include evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. Must be able to work any shift in a 24/7 schedule.
The mission of the Sacramento State Police Department is to protect the life, property, and peace of mind of the students, faculty, staff and visitors of this university.
Our greatest asset in furtherance of this mission is our Department members who work as a combined force in collaboration with the campus community.
Our Department adheres to the highest standards of ethics, integrity and service, understanding our collective responsibility in upholding the noble reputation of the law enforcement profession.
Our highest objective is to provide an environment free of criminality where the future leaders of our society can learn and prosper.
For more information about the Sacramento State Police Department, please visit: (please use the apply button below)
Entry to the first level within this classification typically requires one year of verifiable experience using a switchboard and two-way radio communication system in a law enforcement or comparable agency within the last ten years and a high school diploma or equivalent. Essential entry qualifications require the ability to effectively use a phonetic alphabet, speak clearly and concisely, follow oral and written instructions, transfer information accurately, handle a wide range of interpersonal interactions effectively, and learn the use of applicable automated dispatch and law enforcement systems and databases.
Incumbents must have completed or be able to attend and successfully complete the Police Officers Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) Dispatcher Course. Incumbents who, upon hire, do not possess a P.O.S.T. Dispatcher Certificate also will be required to pass a written test related to essential dispatching skills. Additionally, incumbents must successfully pass supplemental P.O.S.T. requirements for dispatchers such as a background check, physical and psychological examinations, drug testing, and related requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
1. Ability to learn to operate computer-aided dispatch, telephone and radio broadcasting equipment
2. Ability to learn standard broadcasting rules and procedures
3. Ability to learn the campus street system and physical layout of Sacramento campus
4. Ability to exercise independent judgement and work with a minimum of supervision
5. Ability to use office equipment and software
6. Ability to effectively communicate with and elicit information via in-person, phone and/or other communications devices
7. Ability to take accurate notes and prepare concise reports using information from various sources
8. Ability to deal with highly stressful situations, work under pressure and exercise good judgment in all situations
9. Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment
10. Ability to analyze situations accurately and take effective action
11. Ability to follow written and oral directions
12. Knowledge of English grammar, usage, spelling and punctuation
13. Customer service skills; ability to remain calm and courteous while dealing with the public under stressful circumstances
14. Ability to work irregular shifts, to include evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays
Conditions of Employment
- Ability to pass background check
15. Experience working with customers or members of the public.
16. Experience working in a fast-paced environment that requires multitasking while communicating with others.
17. Experience working with radio transceivers, telephones, silent alarms, and emergency signaling devices
18. Experience functioning in emergency situations
19. Experience maintaining records or logs, including statistical data.
Is Background Check Required
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. employees who apply for the position.
-Candidate selected will be required to provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
Eligible on-campus applicants in California State University Employees Union (CSUEU) Bargaining Units 2, 5, 7, and 9 will be given first consideration in the recruitment.
Conflict of Interest
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit: (please use the apply button below)
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit: ****for%2...
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit: (please use the apply button below)
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Open Until Filled
First Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Selected candidate(s) will be invited to take the P.O.S.T Police Dispatcher written test. Candidate(s) that pass the test will be recommended to the Search Committee for an interview.
Candidate(s) selected for the position will need to successfully pass the thorough background check completed by the Sacramento State Police Department before a conditional offer is made.
Prior to the appointment, selected candidate(s) must successfully pass the P.O.S.T Police Dispatcher medical examination and psychological screening.
For questions regarding this search, contact:
(see application details)
Please mention DiversityJobs.com
if asked how you found this job.