A Police Officer patrols an assigned post by foot and by motor vehicle in a police district to prevent and discover the commission of crime, to maintain order and to protect life and property applying sound independent judgment in accordance with State and local laws and Baltimore Police Department rules, policies and procedures. Work of this class involves no supervisory duties or responsibilities.
Incumbents receive general supervision from a technical superior. Employees in this class work rotating shifts including evenings, weekends and holidays. The employee works in various areas of the City where such conditions as seasonal weather extremes, violent persons and crowds, automobile traffic and other dangerous and stressful situations are encountered. Work requires extreme physical exertion involving chasing and subduing criminal suspects.
Applicants must successfully complete the following steps in the hiring process before being hired as a Baltimore Police Officer:
* Civil Service Test
* Physical Agility Test
* Preliminary Interview
* Background Investigation
* Polygraph Examination
* Psychological Examination
* Physical Examination
The form that you are completing today is not one of the steps listed above. It is an online application to determine your eligibility to take the Civil Service Test.
On or before the date of filing the application, each candidate must:
EDUCATION: Have graduated from an accredited high school or possession of a GED certificate.
NOTE (EQUIVALENCIES): Not Applicable.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATES: Have a valid Maryland Class C Noncommercial driver's license or an equivalent out-of-state driver's license acceptable to the Office of Risk Management and ability to obtain and maintain Maryland Police Training Commission Certification is required. Supplemental Information
NOTE: Those eligible candidates who are under final consideration for appointment will be required to authorize the release of criminal conviction information and submit to drug testing.
NOTE: YOUR LICENSE MUST BE RECORDED ON YOUR APPLICATION AND WILL BE VERIFIED BY THE APPOINTING AUTHORITY. PROVISIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSES AND LEARNER'S PERMITS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
SCOPE OF THE MULTIPLE CHOICE TEST: The multiple choice examination is designed to evaluate each candidate's knowledge, skills and abilities in areas such as:
* Map Reading
* General Comprehension
Applicants must have at the least the following qualifications to begin the process:
* Must be a U.S. citizen
* Possess a valid driver's license. Please note, you cannot have any more than 3 points on your license.
* Must be 20 years of age and 9 months upon beginning the academy.
* Must have a high school diploma or general education Development( GED) certified diploma recognized by the State Board of Education .
* Must be able to pass an extensive background check.
* Applicants do not need to be a Maryland resident.
* Applicants are ineligible if they have illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana for any purpose within 3 years (36 months).
* Must not have any current court orders relating to domestic violence.
* Cannot have been dishonorably discharged from the military.
* No felony or serious misdemeanor convictions.
* Misdemeanors must be expunged from criminal record.
* Must not have been arrested for DUI within the past 5 years (60 months).